How to get there:
From DIA – Denver International Airport:
- Arrive Winter Park by shuttle–Home James Shuttle can be booked at www.ridehj.com
- Arrive by car- Park at Vintage Hotel where your trip ends
- Email preferred length of trip (there are three offerings), dates, number of people, number of rooms and number of beds per room.
- A $300 deposit per room is due once the trip is booked and confirmed
- Balance is due 60 days prior to your trip date.
- Once paid, you’ll receive a full packet with your route guide, maps, gear guide, park information etc.
- Upon arrival you’ll receive another packet with your luggage tags and car voucher
- Arrival day: We will contact you about a week prior to your trip to confirm your arrival plans. You’ll meet your trip manager in the early evening to answer any questions and make sure you’re ready for the following hiking day.
- Hiking days: As with the Walter Tishma Way, we have found the use of a morning shuttle to be a good thing. Gives you a chance to see your trip manager to keep your trip running smoothly. There are two days on the WPW that are door to door. You’ll still see your manager in the morning.
- Last day of hiking: Your last hiking day will take you to your last lodge. After breakfast the following morning you’re done!
- Be sure to make your flight reservation to allow for enough time for your transfer back to DIA if booking the shuttle.
- There is a luggage limitation of one piece of carry-on luggage per person for transfer. If you have more it can be stored with us and we’ll return it to you at the last lodge. We will realize most airlines limit luggage so a good idea is a packable duffle that can be used during the week. If you have any concerns or needs please contact us.
Red Gate Day- Devil’s Thumb Ranch to Winter Park Town
Undulating terrain which stays around 9,000 ft.
This is a lovely day which begins on Devils Thumb Ranch property and heads south as it approaches Winter Park Town. Lots of meadows, aspen trees and cows- a good way to start. You begin right from Devils Thumb and walk right to the next lodge.
Leland Creek Day- Winter Park Town to Winter Park Resort
Undulating terrain staying around 9,000 ft.
A slow rise out of Winter Park Town will give way to a wonderful section of forested trails as the day continues south to Winter Park Ski Resort. This is a fun day to follow with good views and water. Route will walk you right into the quaint ski area village. Stop for a beer at the sidewalk cafe or continue on to the Vintage Hotel and the hot-tub.
Broome Hut Day- Second Creek to Winter Park Resort
Distance- 7 miles
Difficulty- High Moderate
High Point- 11,500 ft.
Beginning- 10,585 ft.
This is the day you’ve been waiting for! Top of the world views and a fun gondola ride back to the resort. Day begins high with a short shuttle to Second Creek Trailhead at 10, 585 ft. Reach treeline within the first mile at Broome Hut, part of the 10th Mountaineering Hut System. Trail then winds its way onto the high tundra just off the Continental Divide with views in all directions. Descend off-trail and pick up the ski area hiking trail which will take you to the new Winter Park gondola. Jump on and ride down. This is a winner!
Inn-to-inn hiking is not just about the hiking, the lodging should be fun, diverse and representative of the area. It’s like a smorgasbord with each place offering something different.
Devil’s Thumb Ranch– What a beautiful place to start. You may not want to leave. This exclusive ranch-resort is located on 6,000 acres nestled at the bottom of Devil’s Thumb Pass. While quite luxurious, the feeling is laid-back and welcoming.
Trailhead Inn -Winter Park Town- This recently renovated lodge is also owned by Devil’s Thumb Ranch. It is centrally located in the town of Winter Park, close to restaurants, bars and shopping. The lodge is initimate, but not too intimate. Pool.
The Vintage Hotel in Winter Park Resort- Winter Park Resort is just up the road from the town and is the base area for the world-renowned Winter Park Ski Resort. The Vintage Hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the village or if running, you can take the Cabriolet lift right to the front door. This is an older hotel, but has spacious rooms and is extremely comfortable. Pool and huge hot-tub. Four night trips will spend two nights here.